Saturday night the Wende Museum, the city of Culver City, the German Consulate, and TASCHEN celebrated the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the launch of Beyond the Wall: Art and Artifacts from the GDR, an encyclopedic volume featuring over 2500 items from the Wende Museum.
A red carpet awaited the nearly 400 visitors as they made their way into the vast Armory building space, a breathtaking structure which will be home to the Wende Museum’s collections by mid-2015. The Armory space was filled with an installation of half-unpacked GDR statues, signifying the museum’s current transition. In the courtyard, which had been adorned with palm trees and lounge furniture, guests were invited to enjoy complimentary beer and wine.
- More than 900 pages, featuring over 2500 objects.
- Color-coded tabs for swift navigation throughout the eight main chapters.
- Most comprehensive overview of GDR visual and material culture to date.
- Several dozen images of everyday life and public events from the most famous GDR photographers.
- Bonus material inside the handy shipping box: 56-page facsimile of a GDR family scrapbook, documenting real and imagined travels both in East Germany, and across the border.